No matter how well you treat your hair, years of exposure to the elements – the sun, air, water – plus everyday washing, combing, and styling can cause damage to your hair.
For soft, healthy, and beautiful hair, it’s important that you keep your hair well conditioned and moisturised. A leave-in conditioner is a worthy addition to your hair care regime. It performs by locking moisture in your hair strands, as a result, your hair becomes strong and flexible. A good leave-in conditioner also helps you manage your hair, detangle them smoothly, tame flyaways, and protect it from the elements.
You don’t need any fancy brand and spend a lot of money. Packed with nature’s goodness, coconut oil makes an excellent leave-in conditioner. It will protect your hair from root to tip, on daily basis. Here’s how:
As the hair grows long, it gets farther from the scalp’s natural moisturising oils, and the sebum may not reach the hair fibers. This makes the hair dry and prone to damage. When applied to your hair, coconut oil moisturises and restores the natural oil balance of the hair fiber.
Coconut oil works great to pacify the frizzy hair. Frizzy hair is the result of uneven absorption of water in the hair’s outer layer. Coconut oil creates humidity and moisture barrier and protects the hair fibers from uneven swelling. This helps to keep the frizz away and leaves your hair feeling smooth and manageable.
Coconut oil is an excellent moisturiser for weak and damaged hair. Due to its small molecular size, coconut oil can penetrate into the hair fiber, brings out deep conditioning of hair from inside out. When applied after shampooing, it enhances shine and increases the hair fiber’s pliability. Also, there will be less friction between the hair fibers when combing and styling.
After a while, the loss of protein during washing and combing causes your hair to become weak, damaged and prone to split ends. Coconut oil has an ability to bind the hair protein complex together, preventing protein loss from the hair.
Heaps of antioxidants and fatty acids present in the coconut oil seal the hair fibers, and protects the hair from pollutants and environmental damage.
1. You can use coconut oil straight after shampoo – when the hair is still damp (but not dripping wet). It can also be used on dry hair or after styling if the hair feels rough. Though, moisturisation is best achieved when the hair is still damp.
2. Take a small amount of coconut oil in the palm of your hand and rub together. Start with little, about a pea size as excess oil can make your hair look greasy. You can always add more to adjust the needs of your hair.
3. With the coconut oil in your hands rub it onto the ends of your hair and work your way up. Concentrate on applying at the ends, using less in the middle and very little or nothing at the roots. You might want to experiment a bit until you find the right proportion for your hair type. (You don’t need to apply it to your scalp unless you have dandruff or an itchy scalp).
4. Finally, let your hair air dry.
5. Men can use this as a natural styling gel.
Enjoy your super-smooth and shiny hair!
Have you tried using coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner?
You may also Enjoy: