Shiny and healthy hair is everyone’s dream. Yet, there is no overnight formula to get beautiful hair. It’s the daily hair care routine, that will help to keep your hair looking its best every day.
1. Don’t Over Wash Your Hair: If you wash your hair every single day, it will strip off the natural oils from your hair, leaving it dull, dry, and lackluster. How often should you wash your hair will depend on your activity level. Don’t let the grease and oil build up on your scalp, as not washing it enough can make your scalp scaly and itchy. The key is to figure out what is optimum for you.
2. Don’t Style Your Hair When Wet: Your hair is most delicate and fragile when wet, and therefore combing or styling straight after shower is a big no no. Combing wet hair tends to stretch the strands, which causes wear and tear, and split ends. Use a wide-toothed comb to untangle. Start at the ends, gently working your way up towards the roots.
Hair tip: Let your hair dry 80 t0 90 percent before styling.
3. Don’t Tie Your Hair Too Tight: Tying your hair in tight ponytails, braids and headbands stretches the hair shaft, causing it to break. It can also lead to condition called traction alopecia, a form of hair loss which is caused by constant pulling of hair. In long term your hair might permanently stop growing from areas it is pulled most from and cause a permanent bald patch.
4. Don’t Overdo The Appliances: Excess heat from styling tools such as blow drier or flat-iron will make your hair dry, rough, and brittle, and also cause split ends. You do not need heating tools to make your hair look good. Use a natural smoothing serum to get that sleek and glossy look. Get creative and style without heat.
5. Don’t Swim Unprotected: The chlorine or salty sea can strip the sebum (scalp’s natural oils) out of your hair, leaving it unprotected, and in the long run cause lot of damage – drying it out, causing frail hair, and even altering the hair colour.
Before going for a swim consider applying a leave-in conditioner containing coconut oil or the oil itself. The uniqueness of coconut oil is that it not only coats the hair shaft but due to its low molecular size it can also penetrates deep inside the hair shaft and offer full protection. Even when you are using a swim cap it’s better to apply a leave-in conditioner for extra safety.
6. Do a Regular Oil Massage: Head massage is a great way to treat your scalp and hair. A gentle oil massage with your finger tips moisturises the hair and scalp, and stimulates blood flow to the roots of your hair. Increased blood supply brings with it essential nutrients that are required for healthy hair growth.
7. Do Read The Labels: Shampoos and conditioners can contain synthetic detergents, alcohols and many other not so good ingredients, causing dry and itchy scalp. Get into the habit of checking the ingredient label before buying personal care products. If you are unsure of any ingredient you can check its safety on www.ewg.org. Those who wash their hair more frequently must use safer options like reetha and shikakai home made shampoo. This homemade shampoo is very mild and doesn’t strip natural oils from your hair.
8. Do Rinse With Cold Water: After washing your hair, finish with cold rinse. This flattens the hair cuticle, making your hair softer, smoother and shiner.
9. Natural drying is best for your hair: Blow drying removes too much moisture from the hair, and over long term, the lack of moisture can cause the hair to become dry and weak. If at all you must use a blow-dryer, then use sparingly and make sure you use the cooler setting. For healthy and shiny hair let your hair air dry naturally.
10. Do Protect Your Hair From Sun Damage: Like your skin, your hair should be protected from the harsh rays of the sun. Wear a hat or scarf when spending longer time in the sun.
What are your dos and don’ts?