Rubbing Fingernails Together Stimulates Hair Growth and Reverses Graying: Reality or Myth - hair buddha
hair buddha
Shares

fine

Does Rubbing Fingernails Promote Hair Growth?

It is a popular belief among the practitioners of complementary medicine and Indian culture, that rubbing fingernails together can give you thick, dense and healthy hair. The positive results are supported by many anecdotal claims, and there are many proponents and followers to this ancient practice. Some have even claimed hair regrowth on bald areas.

When I was a child we used to rub fingernails together on seeing a crane bird. I have no clue as to why we would rub our fingernails, although the whole exercise was thought of as a good luck sign. I must say I then had thick, shiny and abundant hair. I was reintroduced to this practice at a yoga training program, but this time it was for a different reason. When done for 5 to 10 minutes every day, rubbing your fingernails stimulates hair growth, reverses graying and also improves overall hair health.

This practice is also known as Balayam: where bal means hair and vyayam means exercise. There is a little understanding of how it works. It could be that the body’s chakras or meridian play a role to correct imbalances in the flow of energy, similar to reflexology. So when you trigger the appropriate reflex points, the meridian energy is channelized through pathways to the affected areas of the body,  increasing energy and health in those areas.

There may be some point to this explanation because when you rub fingernails against each other it causes tingling in the scalp. This may then stimulate hair growth.

rubbing nails 2

How to do it?

Nail rubbing is done on an empty stomach or 2 hours after food. Curl the fingers as if to form a half fist (see picture) and rub the fingernails of each hand against each other briskly for five to ten minutes (rub only fingernails and exclude the thumb). You will feel a tingling sensation on your scalp.

You can do this anywhere – while waiting for or travelling in the bus/train, walking in the park, in your house. It may help if you focus your attention on the scalp and hair, and visualize your hair getting thick and healthy.

Rubbing fingernails together for five to ten minutes twice a day is recommended. Results are usually seen in a three to four months time.

My experience: Ever since I started the nail rubbing exercise (been 4 months), I have noticed some regrowth happening, and also an improvement in overall hair quality. Though, I do it along with other home remedies. I personally feel that each treatment has its own place and you cannot simply rely on a single solution.

What is the evidence?
The nail rubbing exercise has no scientific backing whatsoever. That said, complementary and holistic therapies, in general, have a little or no validation. Does this make them invalid? The answer is unknown. Due to lack of accurate data collection or scientific robustness, it makes such practices difficult to comprehend. Moreover, people who practice rubbing the fingernails do it alongside other home treatments. Therefore, even if there is any improvement it becomes difficult to attribute this exclusively to nail rubbing. Besides, there is no monetary reason to delve into the cost extensive research to prove the point since this exercise involves no practitioner or product, and can be done totally free of cost.

Why not give it a try? There is no cost involved and it can be done at your home. Simply join your fingernails and start practising. It may just work for you!

Word of caution: Avoid nail rubbing during pregnancy, or if there is any skin or nail condition around the contact area, or if you suffer from high blood pressure.

Do you practise nail rubbing? please share your views and experience and let us know if it had any effect on the hair growth.

Leave a Comment:

190 comments
ANJALI says

Doing nailrubbing on regular basis turn white hair to black? Anyone hair turn to black using this excercise? Please reply and share your experience…

SUVO DAS says

I have been suffering from hair loss for three years I used minoxidil for last 3 months but I can’t get any results so I give it up and started using onion juice for 1 month but my hair loss continue and I have felt pain on my scalp so what should I do old ans me

Minaz says

Hi Suvo, just use plain coconut oil to massage your hair.
    Also include coconut (dry or fresh), flax seeds, almonds, and ghee in your diet
    Best wishes.

Ravi says

Take 1. SELENIUM 200CH & 2. LYCOPODIUM CLAVATAM 30CH Homeopath medicine…. You will see result in just 15 days

Trips says

Dosage ? Time and mode of consumption

Swapnil says

Can this method reverses grey hair????

Huda says

Hi Minaz, thanks for this great resource

I wanted to know whether it was okay to consume store-bought Amla powder – for example- as a drink? And if so, what powder to liquid ratio should I apply?

Thanks so much!

Minaz says

Hi Huda, yes you can. I would start with 1/2 teaspoon with a 1/2 cup water.
    You can read more in the article: Amla The Superfood for Hair.

Jitu madaria says

Hi minaz
If someone lost hairs from front hairline. . . Is there any natural way to grow back hairs otherthen hair transplant
And also tell me about prp treatment. . . Who should go for it. .

Minaz says

Hi Jitu,
    Massage twice a week with coconut oil. Wash with reetha-shikakai homemade shampoo.
    for more tips, read my posts on:
    17 things I did to regrow my lost hair
    How to Stop Hair loss: 28 Remedies for Hair Growth

Rakshita says

I am 20 and I had thick wavy nice hair until last month, I colored my hair and since then I lost hair in chunks and now when I run my fingers through my hair …I feel so sad…how can I make it grow back like it was bfore? Please help!

Minaz says

Hi Rakshita, I have similar story to you. I have shared many tip to regrow lost hair, please check out the hair loss section.
    Best wishes.

Rohan says

It reduce my hairfall for 15 16 days but now i am experiencing 30 to 40 hairfall. Is it normal to loose the hair due to nail rubbing.

Minaz says

But it’s okay to lose 30-40 hair per day. It’s a part of normal hair growth cycle.

mukes emm says

dear minaz,
i am suffering from mpb 1st stage i hv started nail rubbing exercise 2 weeks ago i do it for 1 hour daily ( 20 min thrice ) my hair fall has increased tell me how long this shedding period will go on
and these fallen hair will come back or not

Minaz says

Dear Mukes, practice nail rubbing for 10 -15 minutes daily. That is enough.
    Also use miracle hair mask or ayurvedic hair mask once a week.
    Wash your hair with this homemade shampoo.
    Also check for any vitamin deficiency: vit D, B12, calcium.

Sanjay says

Yes it is normal it will increase your hair fall for a week or 2 week and after that it will stop.. And after 4 to 5 months you will see good result bt make sure you continue this process once you stopped. The hair which you gained it will go off
    .. Trust me it works best as compare to taking any other medicine dont take any topical lotion if its possible try to drink amla juice and.. Take RND OIL. It wrks best bt make sure you use in the night time before go to bed this will helps to stop hair fall n regrow hair naturally do not trust any dermatalogist our indian dermatologist making money … So they dont care and they will prescribe you topicsl solution knw n as minoxidil. And they will give u some tablets to eat ..

Patel says

Dear Minaz
I have heard that but doing so it may also stimulate extra hair growth on other parts of the body like facial, hands and etc. Is it true? This would be a big issue as I want to reduce the hair growth in those area and nor having this side effect.

Kris says

What type if skin conditions do you mean when you say not to do nail rubbing? If its for hair, will it affect your face? I have acne, can I still do this?

John says

Yes it works. 100%

Minaz says

Great!

Renny says

I’ve oily scalp and whenever I Do this exercise it becomes more greasy and kind of silky..Is this exercise related to sebum secretion in any case

ASP says

Can I rub thumb nails to get thick full of beard and mustache? Or will thumb nail rubbing causes other part of face hair growth…like ear and nose hair, if not can I grow along with finger nails rubbing?

micah says

i had my dreadlocks twisted too tightly? you think its permanent?

micah says

i had my dreadlocks twisted too lightly…you think the damage is permanant?

Zezu Zaza says

just update it to me. i want to hear more about your progress ok

Ahm says

Can someone tell me which exact parts of the finger nails need to be rubbed for hair growth? Is it the nail tips of one hand rubbed against the nail roots of the other hand? Or should i rub the entire nail surfaces against each other?

Minaz @hairbuddha says

Entire nail surfaces against each other.

conquer says

Hi, I have been doing nail rubbing for a few weeks now. During the first week or so, I did not feel anything. After that, I felt a tingling on my scalp after I did the exercise so I continued. However, there seems to be more hair fall these few days. I did some research and apparently there is a shedding period that some people experience when doing this exercise. Is there anyone who is did this experienced the shedding period? If so, how long did it last? I am a bit hesitant to continue this since I do not have much hair to start with. The only positive thing that I noticed is more of the hair falling out seems to be thinner or shorter. Some info about myself, I am 21 and female. Thank you for the input!

Zezu Zaza says

this is normal. meaning that you are doing great. your hair fall because it remove all the unwanted hair that no premature. inside of scalp there will be potential new hair growth with the strong roots push the premature hair. please update this if you hair got a significant growth.

Conquer says

I stopped doing it. It wasn’t because of the shedding,if anything, the shedding has continued with more hair falling now that I have stopped. Unfortunately, I started having scalp pain/headaches and I am not sure if the nail rubbing caused it. Maybe I was trying out too many things at once. Now, I will just take things slow, just do a couple of things. I do want to start the nail rubbing again though,just not now. Also, I recently discovered bin-aural beats which can help with hair growth too so I’m trying that out as an alternative.

naveen kumar says

I’m doing it for months but I didn’t find any result can anyone help me

Uttam Kumar says

Shall i rub my nails whenever i free?

Zezu Zaza says

that should be good. when i do it, my hand veining appeared at my hand palm. i hope that is normal for the stimulating

Add Your Reply