ABOUT - hair buddha

ABOUT

Minaz

Hello beautiful, welcome to hair buddha. I am Minaz, an ex-practicing Neuro-Physiotherapist turned natural – hair – therapist!ย  I am writing to share my experiences on natural hair care that has been effective not only on me but also on many wonderful people around me.

My healthy hair mantra is “eat natural and feed your hair natural”. I like to blend traditional wisdom with modern science. I come from India, the land of champi-tel malish, which literally means head massage using pure or herb infused oils. For centuries, hair nourishing rituals such as head massage, henna hair packs, herb infused oils and mud baths have been an integral part of hair grooming for both men and women. Sadly, the natural hair care ritual is gradually fading away and so is the hair health. Through my blog, I want to revive the nourishing rituals for happy and healthy hair.

With loving wishes to have a ‘good hair day’ everyday ๐Ÿ™‚

Why hair buddha?

Many people think buddha is the name of the founder of Buddhism. But his original name was Siddhartha Gautama. When he gained enlightenment, through intense mediation, he was given the title of buddha. (I am a spiritual person and I have a huge reverence for Gautam Buddha – one of the greatest prophets of all time.)

Buddha comes from the Sanskrit work buddhi. It literally means wise, learnt, or awakened.

I have gone through many hair problems.ย During the course of hair struggle I came to realise that just by changing shampoo or conditioner my hair will not improve.

Itโ€™s much deeper than that.

Yes hair that comes out of that scalp is pretty much dead. But the manufacturing unit of hair โ€“ that hair follicle โ€“ is situated beneath the scalp and it is alive. This hair follicle is fed by the nutrients and oxygen supplied by the blood vessel.

So fixing it externally is not going to help. We need to take a holistic approach in caring for it better.

I have done many years of research, and read extensively on hair care. My background in medical sciences helps me see the scientific picture on any hair problem. And my interest in yoga, ayurveda and natural remedies makes the complete package holistic.

But honestly, I am still learning. My quest is on and through hair buddha I like to share with you what makes your hair healthy and beautiful.

If you have been reading my posts you will know that this blog is not just about hair. I am passionate about helping people feel better, more beautiful, and in alignment with their true self.

And I like to thank all my dear readers for your love and support. You keep me going and it means a world to me.

Leave a Comment:

205 comments
Chandana says

Can we mix bring raj powder with onion juice

Yes you can.

Susan says

Is there Alma Oil premade? I was going to mix Bhringraj oil with is in a carrier oil for my hair issues? Thank you for your time!

Minaz says

You can buy amla oil from the store.

Deeni says

I have lost hair to the foremost part of my head. It has been more than 10 years now and now the area is free from hair. Can hair be regrown there?

Minaz says

I wouldn’t say it’s impossible. But at the same time I wouldn’t obsess about it.
    Are you a type A personality who takes a lot of stress?

storm says

awesome story Minaz ๐Ÿ˜€
im currently hitting fifty & my hair is starting to thin out as i age, i know its unrealistic to think i can hang onto it indefinitely but a few more years could be nice, im very youthful looking male. thanks to my tiny child doll like barbie mum.
my dads hair started thinning in his mid forties. Ive started using an expensive french rose hip oil (i don’t want to say the brand name here, its all written in french anyway) it has a scientific ingredient similar to rogaine, i tried rogaine its very harsh, i get deathly tired & ill feeling after using it & ive had to wash it out numerous times. a hair care professional friend suggested it & gave me a bottle from her salon. rose hip oil is way more natural & when i feel my scalp with my fingertips, i can feel the velvety feeling of new hair pushing up ๐Ÿ˜€ i might get a few more good hair days yet! Im fascinated by sub continent India culture & remedies, (did you hear about colgate stealing a toothpaste formula from an Indian village) ive totally boycotted colgate from my home because of it & for a big company to conduct itself like that its not something i want to be part of.

peace love & alfalfa sprouts!!!

Rhodnia Johnson says

Love your stories and articles. Do you have anything on how to make Ayurveda oils using the various Ayurveda herbs?

Minaz says

Thanks. Search amla oil and brahmi oil.

Shan Khan says

Hi Minaz ! Hopefully you will be fine and good…….I have Alopecia in my hairs and beard for 2 years ago……….I am using different medicines but not any results……….Please help me to get rid of alopecia

Minaz says

Hi Shan Khan, alopecia is usually triggered by a stressful episode. Also, unhealthy diet can cause inflammation in the body, which can then trigger alopecia. Look into these two thing.
    Have your vitamin D and B12 checked.

ANJALI says

Hi iam 25 year old female… some of my hair is greying… can it turned to black? Iam vegetarian and starting to eat egg some days two months ago..eating one tablespoon black sesame per day.. raggy with cow milk per day.. eating butter per day.. yogurt etc apllyng onion at small quantity thrice a week and washing hair once in a week with red hibicus leaf paste.. not using shamboo..doing nail rubbing sime days.. can my hair turn to bkack? Is onion can apply daily? Do you know anyone grey hair turn to black? Please answer me…

Minaz says

You don’t have to eat egg if you are a vegetarian. Use this this hair rinse twice a week.

Netra says

Ma’am, please help me. I have an oily scalp and dry hair. When I was a teen,I had dense hair but dn after staying in hostel for 5years,my hair volume has reduced drastically. Although, I hv started using Parabeen and sulphate free shampoo but have hardly seen any changes. PLEASE HELP ME REGAIN MY DENSE VOLUME OF HAIR again. I shall be extremely thankful to you

Indhu says

Minaz I’m a 23 yr old girl I had a long n straight silky hair naturally but in last few yrs my hair started losing n now its only half of my hair remains n I still hav a severe hair fall I’m vry afraid of losing my hair .since I hav a broad forehead this hair fall makes me look bald day by day .I hav started using natural ingredient but my hair fall still not stop n it worsens more..help me out can I regrow my hair lyk the old one pls help me out im very much depressed n sumtyms I feel vry inferior .pls help me out of dis..

Hima says

Hello mam, Iam 16 yrs old.I loss a lot of hair daily.I lost almost half of my hair which I had before.I had very beautiful staright and soft har.Now it turned curly and very thin.I cant even braid my hair.Is it due to any vitamin deficieny?How long it will take for regrowth

Minaz says

Yes it could be vitamin deficiency. Check your vitamin D, B12, iron levels. It takes about a year for your hair to grow back.

Sugandha says

Minaz
Can u plzz tell me which Castor is best for hair?

mudassir says

Hi Minaz, Im 23 year old boy. my hair count was very good and thick as well. All of sudden from last 3 months im experience horrible hair loss. I dnt know why, still im confused. It is like hand full of hair when ever i touch my head. Please help me. I cant see this. Please.

Minaz says

Hi Mudassir, have you had any stressful event lately?

Tara Leibel says

I was drawn to your blog.
I will try your suggestions.

md aleem says

My hair loss in 6month and antidendruf

daniela says

Halo Minaz, thank you very much for so many information ๐Ÿ™‚ I have question, please. I love to use kefir/milk on my hair/skin, but I hate how it smells after that. No matter how I wash if off, it smells until the second day. My husband always laughs that I smell like a puked baby. Any tip how to cover/get rid of the smell? Same thing with fennugreek, love what it does to my hair, but the smell is really bad…thank you soooooo much

Minaz says

Hi Daniela, you can use a hair rinse to mask the smell. Lavender, rosemary, chamomile – whatever your hair likes.

daniela says

pradeep says

Mam, Iam at South Sudan, we use hard water what precaution should I take to protect my hair..

Minaz says

Always oil your hair before you wash it. And use lime/vinegar diluted with water as a last rinse.

Rose says

Ma’am plz help me I hav losted my 1/3 hair . Wat can I do for regrowth . I hav dandruff and oily skin plz suggest me

Jacqui Malcolm says

s brushing good for your hair, my daughter and I have not washed our hair for 4 weeks now as we don’t like the commercial shampoos, but will certainly make one of yours, but we have been brushing our hair with a hogs hair brush for about and hour each evening after dinner and rinsing with rosemary infused water. Is this amount of brushing okay, our hair is looking good. She has very thick wavy brown hair and I have fine grey hair, but plenty of it.

Minaz says

May be an hour is a bit too much, but if you have very thick hair and you are doing it in sections, it will require more time. Try reducing the brushing time by half.
    And continue rosemary hair rinse, it’s excellent for hair.
    Let me know how it goes for you.

Preeti says

Can you advise me the best shampoo for hair fall issue? I was diagnosed with Telogen Effluvium where I losing over 50 hairs almost every day since long time.

Minaz says

What is the cause of Telogen Effluvium?

Jatin Shah says

Hi Minaz,
You mentioned to use unrefined castor oil.but on other blogs I read to use refined castor oil.it says unrefined castor oil is poiseneous.I am confuse now can you please help me here.I just started using castor oil for my itching scalp and dandruff problem.I am at present using refined castor oil.I have this problem since last 6 to 7 months and I didnt loose hair but now it grows very slowely and all the bushyness is thining now.I used to able to hold a small ponytail after 2 months of last hair cut now it takes three months but hair is not that much like before.I am also having bumps and itching problem for last 2 months.

Jatin

Minaz says

Hi Jatin, Unrefined castor oil is okay to use on hair. If you are not getting results after using castor oil, don’t use it.
    For dandruff, try this and this

Add Your Reply