Miracle Hair Mask For Hair Growth, Thickness and Dandruff - hair buddha
hair buddha
Shares

Miracle Hair Mask For Hair Growth, Thickness and Dandruff

miracle hair mask : fenugreek and yogurt

I call this recipe Miracle Hair Mask because it helps with so many hair issues. It’s also one of the most popular hair masks with the Indian women, because of its amazing beauty and healing effects.

Benefits of Miracle Hair Mask

• Reduces hair loss
  • Prevents dandruff and promotes healthy scalp
  • Encourages faster hair growth
  • Moisturises hair and leaves it feeling soft, shiny and smooth
  • Strengthens hair shaft and adds volume to your hair
  • Tames frizz and fly-aways
  • Greatly reduces split ends and hair breakage
  • Makes detangling really easy
  • Helps prevent hair thinning that occurs due to menopause.

The good thing about the Miracle Hair Mask is that it works for all hair types: whether your hair is dry or oily, fine or coarse, frizzy or damaged – everyone can use it.

Made with just two ingredients – Yogurt and Fenugreek (methi) seeds – this mask will transform your hair into fabulousness.

fenugreek hair pack ingredients

Fenugreek seed

You will find fenugreek or methi seeds in every Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Sri Lankan kitchen. It’s not just an aromatic spice, but has amazing medicinal and beauty benefits.

Fenugreek is an age-old remedy for hair loss and thinning. It stimulates blood flow to the scalp, nourishes the hair follicles to promote faster and healthier new growth.

Fenugreek is also a great alternative to store bought conditioner, thanks to its high mucilage content – which provides slip like conditioner and makes detangling very easy. And if you have dry, coarse or frizzy hair, fenugreek can come to your rescue. Regular use of this herb in a hair mask or deep conditioner will naturally soften your hair, increase manageability, and restore lustre and bounce.

In addition, fenugreek contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help with dandruff, scalp irritation and acne.

Also, if you are losing hair due to menopause, I highly recommend this mask for you. Fenugreek is high in plant estrogens and thus will help prevent thinning hair that occurs due to menopause.

Yogurt

Yogurt is wonderful for hair. It is full of protein, which works to strengthen the hair shaft, thus preventing split ends and breakage. At the same time, yogurt also conditions, moisturises, and adds volume and shine to your hair.

And if you are struggling with never ending dandruff, the combination of yogurt and fenugreek is excellent. Yogurt contains healthy bacteria that help to fight dandruff causing yeast.  Also, the lactic acid in the yogurt has gentle exfoliating action. It will get rid of dead skin and flakes and promote clean and healthy scalp.

How to make the Miracle Hair Mask

You will need:

fenugreek hair pack ingredientsMix all the three ingredients in a bowl, cover with a lid and set aside of 2 to 3 hours. During this time fenugreek seed powder will swell and the entire mixture will thicken up and become slightly slimy.

If you think the mixture is too thick to apply, add a few tablespoons of water to make the mixture more creamy.

Grind fenugreek seeds into fine powder

IMG_4450 (2)

Mix yogurt and fenugreek seed powder

Combine the two. Cover with a lid and set aside for 2 to 3 hours

IMG_4478 (2)

After 2 to 3 hours the mixture will thicken up. Mix once again and use.

IMG_4462 (2)How to use:

Start with dry or damp hair. Apply this mask to your scalp and hair. Put on your shower cap or wrap your head in a muslin cloth or a towel. You can also leave your hair uncovered as this mixture won’t drip.

Leave this on for 20-30 minutes, then rinse off thoroughly. Wash with a natural shampoo and let your hair dry naturally. Do this mask once a week to restore and maintain your hair.

Enjoy your beautiful hair!

Extra Notes

Fenugreek seed powder: You can buy fenugreek seed powder from an Indian shop or online. But you can also easily make your own fenugreek seed powder. All you need is fenugreek seeds and spice and nut grinder. Just add 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds and grind to a fine powder. You can also grind large qualities and store in a glass jar.

Methi seeds for hair mask

To get rid of the smell pan roast fenugreek seeds for a couple of minutes

Methi seeds for hair maskMethi seeds for hair maskFenugreek smell: Fenugreek has a nice pungent smell, but some people find it strong. To lighten the smells you can do the following: Heat a pan until warm, add the seeds and roast over a medium flame, for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly to avoid charring.

Using yogurt: For this mask it’s best to use plain, whole fat yogurt. Also, prefer yogurt with live cultures, as it has extra benefit for the scalp health. If you make it at home, that is the best.

Yogurt substitute: If you are a vegan or don’t like putting yogurt on your hair, you can replace it with coconut milk. It offers similar hair benefits as yogurt. Also, yogurt may cause drag or roughness in some people’s hair, so for them coconut milk is a good option.

Oiled hair: You can apply the mask on oiled hair, just don’t add the extra oil when preparing the mask.

Have you tried this hair mask? I am excited to hear how it works for you….Share your experience/views in comment box below.

You may also like:

Coconut Milk Hair Mask for Dry, Coarse Hair

Top 3 Hair Masks for Dry Hair

Banana Hair Mask

Egg Hair Mask: Get Gorgeous Hair like a Celebrity

What people are saying about Miracle hair mask

Tanima Dasgupta Dutta :

A big shout for Minaz….who helped me..during my bad hair days…2years back I shifted to holland from India..that time I m loosing hair due to lack of ferritin, calcium and biotin deficiency..I send her a mail and she suggest me that yogurt and fenugreek hair mask..That mask really suits on my hair..gradually I made a regular hair care routine…Thank You Minaz….

Alright!!! This is my Story and the reason i am writing it is because I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT THE ANSWER TO A CURE FOR TOTALLY DAMAGED HAIR DOES NOT REQUIRE ANYBODY TO SPEND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF RUPEES AT PLACES LIKE KAYA OR THE SIMILAR SORTS WHO ARE PROBABLY LOOTING PEOPLE. A scalp rejuvenation therapy at a renowned skin center costs about 70, 000 and i was worried because i did want to regain the luster and beauty of my hair but cold not afford so much for it. Like i said, long before that i am very fortunate to have encountered Hair Buddha. I am so very happy to see my hair recovering and can’t believe that this could be so simple and all within a few rupees. I used the COCONUT MILK & METHI therapy for dandruff & hair fall and after so many YEARS, i can actually feel my hair to be softer than before. I guess the miracle here is the COCONUT MILK. Very few are aware of the fact that COCONUT OIL has reverse affects on damaged and dry hair, like i did and so I could never bring the softness back to my hair but COCONUT MILK is SIMPLY AMAZING and i recommend this to everyone. Thank you HAIR BUDDHA and THANK YOU MINAZ….!!!! I mean every bit of what i said.

Leave a Comment:

131 comments
Chris says

I have been struggling with horrible dandruff and an itchy scalp since last May. I’ve tried every type of shampoo and conditioner there is including some very expensive ones. The yogurt, fenugreek powder and olive oil mask seems to be soothing to my scalp. I’ve done two weekly treatments so far and it feels better immediately. Any other tips?

Hi Chris, see this and

this for more tips.

Jenn says

Hello Minaz,

I have plenty of fennel seeds, but not fenugreek. Is it okay to substitute fennel seeds in this recipe? I did a little research and it seems fennel seeds have similar healing properties but thought to find out from the expert!

Thank you!
Jenn

Minaz says

Hi Jenn, you are right in saying that fennel and fenugreek have similar properties. Both contain plant derived estrogen which is really beneficial for hair. Fennel would be useful if you eat it, but not with yogurt, as it lacks the mucilage.

Best wishes.

Jenn says

Thank you, Minaz!

Mita says

Hi, I washed my hair with shikakai powder and coconut milk.My hair got very dry and also hair loss is massive. I was trying this to help with hair loss but now it;s more. May be did something wrong. Same with my 13 yr old daughter. Poor girl is losing much hair. She has very fine and dense hair and the powder seems to have settled around the roots and in scalp. Is there way to clean the scalp to get rid of the powder and may be dandruff due to this powder. would yogurt help in taking out shikakai powders from scalp. She has very dry hair. TIA.

Shelle says

Helle Minaz, Iam a 59 year old Woman who has natural thin straight to wave hair. I don’t use any hash chemicals at all. I stopped long time ago because of my hair texture and I just knew that dyes weren’t really good for my hair. Around my edges I notice for years was thinning out I think from pulling my hair up and back tightly when I was young started it. I have been going natural with all shampoos home made as well as conditioners, using Apple Cider Vinegar rinses etc. My goal is the health, and growth of my hair thats it. I do realize that my hair is thin has always been thin from a child so I know it won’t grow in thick but, it can be healthy and long applying the right treatments to encourage growth. I am interested in your opinion on how I should use Fungreek powder, or any other Treatment you can suggest would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mrs Shelle

Minaz says

Hello Mrs Shelle, use the fenugreek seed and yogurt as I have mentioned above. Fenugreek seeds are particularly useful for your age as the contain phytoestrogen, which helps to keep hair strong, healthy and nourished. If you can, include healthy fats such as flax seeds, almonds and ghee in your diet.
    Best wishes.

Tariela says

I like the idea of yoghurt and methi hair conditioner. Can it be preserved? If so, how long for? I am work long hours as part of a nursing team hence time is limited.
I have only recently experienced hair loss around my hairline so looking at natural products to regrow them.
Your website is great, thanks for the many tips and ideas.

Minaz says

I am glad to know you are finding the natural tips and ideas useful.
    No it can’t be preserved. Just plan it ahead and keep the methi powder ready.

Roma says

Can i use greek yoghurt the plain(unflavoured, unsweetened) one?

Anamika says

I have tried amla, ritha, shikakai mask before, it works great for any hair problem, expect it colors them to black, I had brown hair with little golden touch naturally and it turned them near to black, also that mask is runny, so I had to stop it, though I have never tried mixing yogurt and fenugreek to it, so will adding amla in this mask again turn my hair to black??

Minaz says

Yes amla can darken your hair, skip it.

Pavithra says

Hi minaz…happy to see your website. Everything needed under one roof. Thank you so much for all ur tips. I wanted to try the miracle mask. But was wondering if I can do it after the oil massage that you have suggested in the other post?

Minaz says

Hi Pavithra, yes you can.

Pavithra says

Hi
Can we apply this miracle hair mark after massaging the hair with oil?

Minaz says

Hi Pavithra, yes you can.

Donnamarie Randolph says

Once again, thank you. While I love what henna (mask/gloss) sometimes the post care was a bit much. So while I’m in love with how my hair is responding to this miracle mask well…the grey is showing. So working with the mind set less is more, I added 1tsp of black walnut hull powder. Loving the initial results! I’ll continue to add the BWH powder until its a bit darker, then as needed. I do a tepid to cool rinse, ACV rinse cool and finish with a light oil blend

Minaz says

Hi Donnamarie, that’s a great tip to cover grey hair. Thanks for sharing!
    Let us know how it works for you in the long run.

Aastha Gupta says

Hi Minaz.. is there a way to remove waves in the hair because of hard water build up. My hair have formed waves in specific sections because of the build up. Chelating shampoo is not helping to straighten it back. I’ve tried curd and coconut milk and egg…also reetha shikakai shampoo.. it appears to make the hair shinier.. but still not able to recover the straight look..any treatment which can help over a period of time? I’ve always had naturally straight hair.. right now also waves are only in the area of build up.

Minaz says

Hi Aastha, use milk and honey hair mask. It works great to naturally straighten the hair.

Aastha says

Hi Minaz thanks for your response. I’m currently using shikakai and reetha mix to wash my hair and curd and methi mask. I can see some improvements however I feel there is still some mineral build up especially around crown and behind the ears. My hair strands form a kink at this place and then fall straight as if getting pulled by static. Any guesses on this? Could a scalp clarifying shampoo help? Any home remedies for this? I also took one in salon session of malibu c.. but it didn’t solve the issue. Look forward to your guidance. Thanks

Minaz says

Hi Aastha, use lime juice/apple juice hair rinse to clarify.

failyeen says

Am in Kenya East Africa .how can my hair grow long n stop breaking?
I have shoulder long hair but can’t style since the hairline is almost bald. Thanks as you help me

Aastha Gupta says

Hi Minaz

Have been following your blog… my story is I always had extremely beautiful long silky hair… Two years ago we moved to hard water area gurgaon and unfortunately I wasn’t religiously oiling my hair before every wash. Rsult is extremely dry frizzy wavy hair.. lot of hair loss and raised cuticles.. now I can’t even leave my hair open. Coconut oil along with using eno in shampoo helped a bit. Chelating shampoo or reetha is drying the hair further.. is there any way to restore my hair… I’m so disappointed and looking forward to your response. The damage where the build up is can’t be undone

Minaz says

Hi Aastha, I highly recommend you try miracle hair mask or egg and olive oil hair mask.
    I make my homemade shampoo with more shikakai, and a couple of reetha. I also add some methi dana to the shampoo.
    Or I have some shampoos suggestions on the resource page. Have a look.

EJ says

Hello! This information seems very useful and I can’t wait to try this out. I have a few questions: When you say “set aside of 2 to 3 hours” are we supposed to be setting it aside in the fridge for those 2 to 3 hours or just at room tempeture? Just wondering since perishable yogurt is being used in the recipe. Also if I wanted to apply this to clean hair after I shampoo as a deep conditioning mask would it be ok to sit under a hooded dryer for about 30 mins with a plastic cap then when finished use a cowash or normal conditioner to wash the mask out?

Thank you! 🙂

Shruti says

I have tried this mask twice so far. It is really good and I am hoping that all my hair problems will reduce slowly. But the mask leaves small fenugreek particles in hair after washing with a shampoo. How to clean it properly?

Minaz says

Grind the fenugreek seeds really fine. You can also sieve it.

Skb says

Hi Minaz

I have mixed reetha, shikakai, hibiscus, amla, neem powders. Is it ok to use this mixture for hair mask along with yoghurt, olive oil?

Luzz says

sounds yummy can you eat it too?

Azan Ali says

can we use amla powder,coconut oil ,curry leaves and Fenugreek powder together for black and shine hair

Kae says

Or is this the recommended amount for one person?

Kae says

Hello, I was wondering do you have a recipe list for a big portion of this?

Nice